Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Know Yourself" Maliha!

Had lunch with my daughter Maliha this Sunday at Sahara Restaurant, in downtown New Brunswick, NJ. We visit this eatout frequently. The food is excellent - Mediterranean Cuisine with a Turkish twist. And the ambiance is cool, has an informal setup, very close to Rutgers University where my son is studying. Me and Maliha love the place.

The young and pretty girl waiter was from Turkey having come to USA to "learn English". Wonder if any Pakistani would ever get a visa to come to USA just to "learn English. Ha Ha Ha!

I guess you have to be like Turkey - to get there. Our establishment and "moderate politicians" are working on it though. While the establishment seems to be doing so unwillingly, the 'moderate politicians' have no choice but to be gung ho about it. It is a matter of their survival.

Even if we become another Turkey I doubt if we will still be able to come to the USA "just to learn English". I think you need to be 'kinda European' to get there. And frankly speaking we are not nor can we become one ever. It is but true that politics and "strategic interests' can create any kind of rule sets for an effective period. May be new rules will let Pakistanis come to USA just to learn English. Time will tell though.

By the way the girl, whose name is Gul, had something tattooed on her left arm that caught my imagination. I took its picutre and asked her what it meant. Gul said it meant "Know Yourself" in Spanish. I Blackberried it here even though Maliha made a face.

My daughter and me have a cultural "no fly zone" in between us. I am still draped in a Pakistani flag. And she is counting her beans, loves New York, won't move out anywhere else, but she is a pure ABCD, I mean an "American Born Confused Desi". I am very positive that she knows she is a ABCD, but she never talks about it with me though. Some day she may talk about it in her own style and manner. There is nothing wrong being an ABCD if you can make the best out of it. After all look at Obama. He got there, did it. Yes we all can too!

Love you Maliha!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment