Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pineapples...1971

In one of the veggie and grocery stores at the Brooklyn China Town I came across Lichhies. Remembered Bangladesh and reminded me of those good old days when life was golden and so was sonar Bangladesh. I loved licchhies and pineapples. In fact having migrated to Pakistan in 1971, I wrote a poem reminiscing life and time in Bangladesh - then East Pakistan.

Here is one of the poems - my reflection on what was going on politically wrong there. I remember some of the events still stuck in my memory lane as BIG NUGGETS. Mujib's amazing power to rally the East Pakistanis. Bhutto's equally articulate opposition to Mujib's sudden rise to power and popularity and of course Yahya's images on TV and in newspapers as a half-drunk incompu who didn't know what he was doing.

The rest is history which still has not been really written.

Pineapples...1971

You! Take him away.
Take him away before I break his limbs;
He's shattered me,
Have sat for days waiting n chanting
'Pineapples for Sale'
but him...playing poccolo to impress
the foreigner's date;

Take him away!
Before I break his fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment